20 May, 2008

My Infatuation With LiP.

I've been checking out Lip Magazine's recent book, Tipping the Sacred Cow: The best of LiP: Informed Revolt, 1996-2007. (**)

Come to think of it. I am very fortunate for my friends at AK Press for taking on this publication because LiP folded last year and I would not have ever heard of them let alone read a Best of book, which reads like a mega issue with comics by Timothy Kreider http://www.thepaincomics.com/weekly080430.htm that guy who does The Pain comic that you can see in the City Paper. I'm usually on a similar wave length and love the artwork.

So back to LiP.
This last issue rocked my progressive thinking world.
The title, Tipping the Sacred Cow, really is a good title because I can read progressive, left wing articles written by knowledgeable folks who are saying things that I expect them to. Hell, one of them was on the VP ticket with Ralph Nader. Oh yea, that was Winona Laduke
For instance:
An article by Matilda, a San Fransisco Gay rights activist on why the gay rights movement is a sham. Yea, check his blog and wonder why he's against the movement? Huh? http://www.nobodypasses.blogspot.com/

Other articles are about business loopholes and tribal land rights deals in US native lands. These are some mega swindle policy deals...And they're environmental firms. That article written by editor, Brian Awehali (now why can't I find a link to the editor?). Oh, here it is http://www.lipmagazine.org/articles/bios.htm



This book really questions what we are really looking at and, well, informing the revolt.

(**) I've read fewer than 25 books from cover to cover in my life. It is now 25 exactly.

No comments: