29 May, 2008

Are You Girls Guys, or What?

Earlier on Tuesday when I was in the theater getting ready to see the premier of Sex and the City there was a radio station, whose name and call letters I quickly forgot, that was introducing the three winners of their Sex and the City contest. The contest, I think, was to find the fashionista, the cosmopolitan and the something else. Like I said, I wasn’t paying attention. But what struck me was when they were all up in front of the packed theater being recognized. The crowd was mainly women, all the winners were women, the presenter was, yes, a woman. So why did the presenter ask for a round of applause for “these guys”? Now weather or not they were feminists or not I could not tell. Weather they were educated or not I could not tell. But I could tell that they were not guys. Is our language so overly masculine or are people mainly incoherent when they are speaking. Many many times I hear a group of ladies refered to as “guys”. Actually, any crowd, no matter the gender, is referred to as guys.
I was once made to see the error of my ways when I pointed to a lady in the bar while I was making my point. She made note of the gesture and told me of the dominance that I am trying to have in the conversation. She was well studied (I think). She was into re-education of gender and power. I didn’t put much credence into her words after she motioned to her group of girlfriends and said “C’mon guys, let’s go”. I smiled and said “you guys have a good night”. She took one last jab at me and said “See? See? We’re not “guys”. You men need some education”. I love this shit!

No comments: