05 May, 2008

MD Film Festival Brings Me Out of the Closet!

Song Sung Blue
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152789/plotsummary
I saw a film at the MD Film Festival this past weekend that has finally brought me fully out of the closet. Let me say it here first that I am no longer afraid of my infatuation. “I am!”, I cried, a Forever in Blue Jeans fan of the man. Yes, without a doubt, I love the music of Neil Diamond. But when I hear the music of the man it is not the man that I think of anymore. Now when I hear the music of Neil Diamond I am reminded of Lightning and Thunder: A Milwaukee husband-and-wife singing duo Mike and Claire Sardina who found fame and a cult following as the Midwest phenomenon known as Lighting and Thunder. Starting in the 80’s the duo decked themselves out in sequins and brought the music of Neil Diamond, ABBA and Patsy Cline to the stage.

How could you now be pumped by the anticipation of such a train wreck of a film? I was all ready for the laugh-fest. I can’t say that I was disappointed however. It was not such a laugh-fest but an engrossing documentary of Lighting and Thunder and the ups and downs that they faced in the running down of their dream.

From starting as the only white guy in an all black R&B band (imagine Steve Martin of the Jerk forming a band with 4 soul brothers but rocking it out! No really) to playing the Wisconsin state fair (and being married at the fair) to playing along side Eddie Vedder at Musicfest in the mid 90’s, Lightning and Thunder were always “almost there”.

Sure they had ups and downs. Thunder was struck by a car outside her house and lost a leg which sent Lighting and Thunder into a tailspin. But the love story that lasted throughout this documentary was pure and unwavering.

I laughed, I cried, I shook my fist in excited agreement as Lighting refused to take a part time job and instead pursued the dream.

One of my favorite scenes was when Lightning and Thunder were on stage with Eddie Vedder and he wanted to close the set with Song Sung Blue. Lighting looked out into the audience and said “Naw man, that’s a Forever in Blue Jeans crowd”. And they rocked it out.

I rally hope this movie takes off and I can see it again somewhere down the road. I hope everyone who wants to can get this same chance. “I am!” I cried, a better man for seeing this film and a bit more comfortable in my own skin as well. I can walk tall and sing Song Sung Blue as I leave work and know it’s gonna be a great day. But I don’t think I’ll ever hear a Neil Diamond song the same. It will be a Lightning and Thunder song from here on out.

No comments: