02 February, 2009

Thank You Arual States Pt. 1

I need to send out a big public thank you to fellow Blogtimore mates Arual States for putting on their first annual (and I hope there's a second) Aural states Fest.
Evening 1 was at Sonar and Talking Head Club this past Friday night and the place was packed by 8pm. I thought I was getting there early to score some rad door prizes but the gear was gone even by then and the Talking Head was already standing room only.

This was one of those evenings that very well could have been everything to everyone. There was something for all. Acoustic and electronic, heartbreak and hardcore.

If Aural States' mission was to bring the same local talent from the far reaching corners of the mind as well as the city together for 2 nights then they nailed it.
In doing this they also brought people from these various places and "scenes" together to create one big party and one big scene.

One of the all encompassing highlights of the two evenings was this diversity coming together and hearing each other's favorite music and digging it.
I think of every person I talked to that night each one was there to hear an entirely different band but stuck around to hear other bands who kept their interest and energy as well if not more.

Although I've been reading about these bands for the past 8 months through the Aural States blog I just haven't been out to hear them. Not only did I get the chance to hear them all (for the first time, mind you) but every single band I did see looked as if they were having the performance of a lifetime. The energy on stage was mirrored by the energy in the audience and every band was really going for it. I have a deep respect for anyone who can get on stage, play their music and pour themselves fully into it...and not have it suck.

Of the first night let me personally shout out those who I saw in the Talking Head:
Imperial China
Caverns
Can not Be Stopped.

These folks poured it out and rocked the house. If there was more room I'm sure the place woulda been a mad house!

At the Sonar stage (unfortunately, set changes took a long time here and I spent most time in TH because that's where the sound was)
Sri Aurobindo
Wye Oak

2 completely different sounds that I would not expect on the same bill but so happy I heard them. Special thanks to Wye Oak for taking me from the Talking Head where I just finished rocking out to what seemed like high school angst of 15 years gone to standing alone and trying to hide tears of the pain of real life that I've endured since...but believing in the hope of tomorrow.

Oh and btw, there's already a dowlnoad of the Wye Oak set out on the Aural States blog. They even take care of me after the party. Thanks guys and girls at Aural Sates. I hear that there are more downloads on the way.

And that was just Day 1.

More on Day 2 Later.

Sorry, this is not a review of the individual bands or an assesment of their sounds and talent but a recollection of the spirit that they all brought out in me. I hope others felt the same. I know a lot of them were showing it.

Let me also say that i am in no way affiliated with Aural States. I just like to promote what I love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/thomas-the-tank-engine-party-supplies.html]thomas the tank engine Party Supplies[/url].