05 November, 2008

Breaking Racial Boundries: A White Perspective

Throughout much of this election process I’ve rarely noticed that I will be voting to put an African-American into the White House. It just hasn’t affected me for most of this election. Is it because Obama is not a very black acting person? Is he pandering to the white vote? Or is he genuinely trying to bring many sections of this country together in unity? I am hoping for the latter. But now that the election is over and we do have a Negro; a colored; a black; an afro-American; an African American, an American president-elect I have been starting to see the color line again.
This is not the same line that I may have seen in the past though. No, this is a new line. Maybe the word “line” is not even relevant anymore. Or at least a line made of chalk rather than razor wire. I am hoping this is true.
Maybe we are all getting the chance to cross that line. Many of us are straddling it and want to cross but not sure what to do next. But now we have something to help us that we may have never even though of before. A black president will show us the way.

Speaking from years of white liberal guilt, I have seen myself mature from living in a learned racial fear as a child growing up where work was scarce to going to more integrated colleges and jobs now to a new rung in my journey of self. And now I have seen the highest position in the known universe opened to an African American. This is one example of history NOT repeating itself. This is a new course. A new day for you and I.

For many years I have thought that if racial equality were to be met then it would have to be white people opening up and accepting everyone into the entire process that is America. Did that just happen? It is white folk, after all who are the center of power in racial issues, right?
Well, my paradigm may have just shifted overnight. I welcome this shift though. I know it won’t be easy but I personally have been waiting for something like this to happen. I think many of us white folks have been waiting for more.

I guess I really like the idea of giving up ownership of this racial separation in America. If it was white people who created it I’m not sure white people can stop it or at least not white people alone. We need help. It may be just around the corner.

This thought of mine here is a work in progress. Comments and criticism is warmly welcomed. I hope to touch back on this again and develop it further.

2 comments:

Siana said...

I didn't vote for Obama because he was black. I voted for him because he was the better man for the job. Early in the presidential race, I was actually in support for Hillary. It wasn't because she was a woman. It was because she had a wealth of experience and access to one of the best advisers you could have. But when that didn't happen I threw my support behind Obama because he will bring a much needed change to our country. He'll also repair the damaged relations with other countries. He's good for us and I truly believe that.

I think that voting for someone BECAUSE they are black is just as bad not voting for someone because they are black. You are not voting for the race or the sex...you are voting for the person.

On the other side of the coin, I am a big fan of history. I love history and I can name you 100 historical events that I wish I could see and experience. Well, guess what? We just witnessed something so historical that 200 years from now there will be people who wish they could get in a time machine and witness what we actually witnessed. It's so awesome.

Unknown said...

Yea, I agree.
I wouldn't vote based on skin either. Wait, how do you know? I've never been given the choice before. None of us had. This really was our first secret ballot vote to show where we really stand on race. We did well. THAT is the mandate.