16 May, 2008

Where's the NHL?

Pavel Datsyuk
Pavel Datsyuk

Man! I’ve been Jones’n for some NHL playoff madness like….well, like mad. It’s been rough for a Red Wings fan to get good hockey (say it with a Canadian accent ‘eh!) “hawkey” coverage out here. It’s not a big hockey area although there are grat teams around. The Caps did well this year and the PA teams are killing each other (well, mainly Pittsburg is doing the killing).
But where is the coverage? The Vs. Network. Who gets this? My Comcast digital cable doesn’t carry it so I have to go to the bar to hopefully catch a game.
This is Stanly Cup playoffs! I can watch 2 college baseball games and all the NDA finals I want but no NHL madness.

Fortunately for me I went to ESPN Zone for the first time earlier this week to see game 3 of the Pitt/Philly game. WOW! This place is really set up for a good game watching (yea, I know. Duh!) Now this is some hawkey! With hawkey fans to boot. OK, OK, Penguin/Flyer fans but still, hawkey fans.

I was lucky to get in too because when we walked in there was some fire alarm explosion and fire retardant was billowing out of half of the place. Thankfully it was the NBA finals side. Rather than evacuate the place they just shoved us in the NHL side and closed off the glass doors to keep the fog out. OK, so I guess there’s no real fire, that’s cool. Haha, no evacuation but they closed down the kitchen and there were 2 fire trucks outside checking the place out while the bar was still rocking out. Nice. And I got to see big ass hockey on one screen and Pistons kicking ass on another.

I gotta get back there for a Wings game. I especially like it when they crush teams from cities that have no naturally occurring ice. Dallas, hockey? Bring it on! Who’s with me?!

No comments: